Sunday 19 October 2008

Passchendaele

So I saw the movie and I'm ready to do my assessment of the film.

I'm going to saw I liked it and thought it was a powerful and emotional film that explores and important part of our history. But I also have to admit I didn't love it. The battle scenes, Vimy Ridge in the beginning, and Passchendaele at the end, were some of the most realistic combat scenes I ever saw in a movie. What Spielberg did for D-Day, Paul Gross has done for Passchendaele. The love story, however, I could have done without, simply because it was unnecessary. Paul Gross could have made a tremendous film if he stuck to exploring the Battle of Passchendaele instead of leaving it for the last half hour.

That being said, I think the movie is important, as I discussed on my other blog, it's a rare day when there's a Canadian made film about our own history. I found it emotional as most of you well know if you have been reading this blog, Jack was there as a stretcher bearer. Many other older people in the theatre thought as well as some of the them were visibly crying. A thought perhaps about a long dead First World War Veteran Father or Grandfather?

Bravo to Paul Gross for making the film but it could have been a tad better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Without the love story, we wouldn't have the story that Gross wanted to tell. He's said he was most interested in exploring the effects that war has on our intimate relationships - family and love - and how acts of selfless love can redeem our inborn warring nature. And I'd have to agree that exploring those things is more interesting than depicting battles for 2 hours.