Friday 12 September 2008

A Land Fit for Heroes

A Land Fit for Heroes? It was David Lloyd George who coined the term to describe what post-war Britain would be like after the war. The truth of it though depended.

Most soldiers found it hard to integrate back into civilian life. For those with disabilities, the government offered meager compensation. Jobs promised to soldiers at war's end didn't always happen. Many men found they had to start their lives over again while they watched "stay at homes" reap the rewards. An economic downturn in 1919-1920 saw 200,000 Canadians out of work, many of them former soldiers.

A letter, written by Walter Draycot to  his former CO

August 21st, 1930.
Senator W. Griesbach,
Parliament Buildings,
Ottawa.
Honoured Sir,
In writing you may I respectfully recall a War episode by way of introduction: During the early stages of the Third Battle of Ypres you assumed command at Yeomanry Post at the critical moment.
As Sergeant in charge of Brigade Intelligence I volunteered the role of Despatch Carrier, in company with Capt. Wallis, as I had previously mapped and sketched the area.
You probably remember my Intelligence work on the Brigade and the field sketches which you have copies of.
I hope I am not trespassing on your time but I am desirous of your assistance if such lies in your power.
On 1-4-1923 my disability pension ceased and though letters were sent the Department for re-consideration of my case they were of no avail.
When making application for re-instatement of Pension in the Spring of this year I was granted 25 per cent from 1-3-30.
During the period 1-4-1923 to 1-3-1930 it was a great struggle to keep afloat and being unable to take on any steady work caused me to fall back so consequently my rates and taxes are in arrears.
A friend of mine in somewhat similar circumstances had been re-instated in his Pension and has received the full amount of the dormant period of his Pension allowance. In all fairness I anticipated the same treatment, as a comparative case, but received only an evasive reply to my enquiries. True enough the fortunate applicant is a well known politician, and I not so, which explains the comparison.
My overseas record, longer than any other Canadian of the C.E.F. in the constituency of Vancouver North, extends from 1914 (in the trenches at Dickebusch) to the latter end of 1918 as an original member of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
Since my return the community has benefited by my services to them without salary or emolument as a School Board Trustee, Chairman of the Boy Scouts, founding Lending Libraries and Museums at six schools, and other public matters.
The granting of my dormant Pension allowance would clear me of debts incurred through my War disabilities.
I should feel indeed grateful if you could assist me in my case if it is possible for you to do so.
Resting,
Yours Respectfully,

Walter M. L. Draycot
J.P.

Now Jack was lucky. When he returned home, he found work in his father-in-law's (Frank Kerr) tannery, though the smell of the work drove Jack to quit a few months later. A skilled tradesmen, Jack soon found work with Toronto Hydro and stayed there till retirement. Many others, though, remained under employmed.

To respond to returning soldiers needs, the Government of Canada created the Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment in 1918. At its peak, the department operated a number of hospitals (both medical and psychiatric), out patient clinics, programs for out of work veterans and vocational classes for those disabled veterans.

Like their American counter-parts, Canadian Veterans demanded a bonus ($2000) to be paid out to compensate for their services. Like the Americans, the government refused to listen. It was not until 1930 that the government passed the War Veterans Allowance Act, that provided poor veterans over 60, $40 a month (for married veterans) or $20 a month (for single veterans.) To help fight the Government for benefits, two organizations were created the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League (Royal Canadian Legion) and the Great War Veteran's Association.

No comments: