Wednesday 21 May 2008

Charley's War


I've just starting reading the collections of the comic strip, Charley's War. First published in the 1980's in Battle Picture Weekly, Charley's War follows, Charley, a sixteen year old who lies about his age to join the British Army during the First World War. The comic strips document his experiences from the Somme to end of the War.

When I first picked this up at the Comic Shop, I was skeptical. I've always been disappointed in graphic novels based on historical events (with the exception of Persepolis and Berlin.) When I opened I was blown away. The script, the detail, the brutal honesty. Charley's War isn't a glorification of the First World War, some have even called it an anti war comic. I don't think it is anti war, it's just honest. Titan Books is currently republishing the comics in graphic novel format, I highly recommend them.

No comments: